Plant Operating Standard
PD-31 Equipment Drain and Waste Collection
- 1. At any time the containment drain tank level reaches 27 in. it is to be drained down
using the containment drain pump into the waste storage tank.
- 2. When the water level in containment reaches 1/2" it is drained manually and by
gravity to an innerbottom tank.
- 3. Leakage which is slightly or potentially contaminated drains to the innerbottom tanks.
- 4. Water which can potentially be highly contaminated and chemical wastes are drained
to the Lab Waste Tank.
- 5. The Buffer Seal Surge Tank, in the event of a high water level, is manually drained
into the primary grade waste storage tank. In case this is full, the drainage waste storage
tank may be used.
- 6. One waste storage tank contains primary grade water for makeup to the primary system
during normal operation. The other is available for waste accumulation.
- 7. The waste storage tank containing primary grade water is valved open to the waste
transfer pump suction and makeup valve PD-35 is open. This provides for immediate makeup
from the control console by starting PD-P1 in case of a scram.
- 8. Once any water is drained into the innerbottoms it is not to be reused in any
- 9. The waste collection tanks are not filled to their high level alarm points and
are pressurized between vacuum breaker and relief valve settings.
Minimum Condition for Reactor Operation
- 1. Once the plant is in operation, the only continuous flow in the system will be from
components draining into the containment drain tank. Means must be available to drain
into a suitable storage tank.
- 2. One drain well sump pump in reactor compartment is operable.
- 3. Sufficient unfilled volume is always available in the various tanks to contain the
waste water being generated. This volume requirement is to be based on losses existing
at the time.
- 4. Sufficient primary grade water must be maintained in one of the waste storage tanks
to provide enough makeup to the primary system to permit a cooldown to a point where
primary system temperature can be maintained with the power available.
My text copyright 2020 Tommy Johnson, all rights reserved. I believe the Savannah documentation is property of
MARAD or the US government.